Kansas man says dog saved him from duplex fire

AP News
|
Posted: Dec 02, 2009 3:43 PM

A Kansas man credited his dog with saving his life in a fire at a Wichita duplex. Billy King said he was asleep when the fire broke out around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday on the other side of the duplex. He said he woke up only when his dog, Skip, started to bark. King uses a wheelchair and phoned his son for help.

Firefighters helped the son get King out of the house. King said the intense heat caused windows to begin breaking just moments later. That's when he realized it had been a close call.

King said Skip deserves a big bag of dog food.

Fire officials said the fire appears to have been caused by an electrical problem in the attic.

___

Information from: KWCH, http://www.kwch.com