Routine daily visits by the public at Fort Hood, Texas, have been suspended as the post tightens security following a deadly shooting spree.
Lt. Gen. Robert Cone, the post commander, said Monday that the sprawling base "cannot become a battlefield."
Cone says Fort Hood, where 13 people were fatally shot and at least 29 were wounded when a gunman opened fire Thursday, is continuing to examine the threat.
Cone says elevated security measures are largely a means of reassurance to the population. The public had been allowed to visit the base between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
The suspected gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, was shot by civilian police and remains hospitalized in San Antonio. A hospital spokesman says Hasan is now able to talk.