STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson posted a surprise second quarter loss on Friday and said it had been impacted by the earthquake in Japan.
The group stuck to its forecast for modest industry growth in the global handset market this year.
Sony Ericsson, owned by Ericsson and Sony Corp, posted a pretax loss of 42 million euros ($59.54 million) on sales of 1.2 billion.
Analysts in a Reuters poll had a mean forecast for a pretax profit of 4.9 million euros on sales of 1.3 billion.
The group said in a statement that the impact of earthquake related supply chain constraints on its portfolio was close to 1.5 million units.
Samsung Electronics and HTC are predicted to be the big winners in the global cellphone market in the second quarter, benefiting from demand for their smartphones running Google's software.