NEW YORK (AP) — The group overseeing the building of an estimated $13 billion rail tunnel into New York City says it's confident the project will be fully funded despite recent pushback from the federal government.
The Gateway Development Corp. members said Thursday the project is proceeding and could begin major construction in early 2019.
Last week, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced how their states would pay for 50 percent of the project.
The federal government was to pay the other half under an agreement with then-President Barack Obama. But President Donald Trump hasn't indicated whether he'll make the same commitment.
Through a spokesman, the Department of Transportation dismissed the states' announcement as "not a serious plan," because the federal government would be responsible for all upfront funding.