CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — The Latest on developments related to a violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville (all times local):
Dozens of students have rallied at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville in response to the deadly chaos that erupted earlier this month at a white nationalist rally elsewhere in that city.
Coverage of the event on social media showed students marching on the historic grounds of Virginia's flagship public university.
The event was billed as a "reclaim our grounds" rally and organizers said it was held to highlight the advances made at the university and beyond to end racism and discrimination in recent decades. The organizers also said via social media that they were seeking to send a message to the university leadership that more advances were needed on behalf of minorities.
Organizers asked those taking part to wear black for the event featuring community speakers, activists and others who abhorred the violence of Aug. 12 that arose from a white nationalist rally elsewhere in Charlottesville.
Residents are shouting down Charlottesville City Council members during the group's first meeting since a white nationalist rally in the city descended into violent chaos earlier this month.
The Daily Progress reports Mayor Mike Signer was interrupted several times in the first few minutes of the meeting. Video of the meeting showed protesters standing on a dais with a sign that said, "Blood on your hands."
After the meeting was briefly halted, councilors returned to their seats and heard public comment from attendees.
Speakers are expressing frustration at city leaders who granted a permit for the rally Aug. 12. They're also criticizing the police response to the rally, which drew hundreds of people who clashed violently in the street. After authorities broke up the rally, a car rammed into a crowd of counter-protesters, killing a 32-year-old woman and injuring 19 others.
Neither a city spokeswoman nor a Charlottesville police spokesman immediately responded to questions from The Associated Press about reports that three people were arrested.
The man who authorities say drove his car into a crowd at a white nationalist rally, killing a woman and injuring 19 others, has made a second court appearance.
The Charlottesville Commonwealth's Attorney's Office says 20-year-old James Alex Fields Jr. appeared by video Monday. It was his first hearing on a second set of charges filed against him last week.
Senior assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Nina Antony says a judge declined for now to set bond for Fields, who has another hearing Friday.
Fields is accused of ramming his car into a group of counterprotesters Aug. 12, killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer. Police also say some of the people injured in the incident suffered serious and permanent injuries. The charges against Fields include second-degree murder.
Fields' attorney couldn't immediately be reached.