The Latest: Air base back to normal after explosives fear

AP News
|
Posted: Jul 06, 2017 1:56 PM

HANSCOM AIR FORCE BASE, Mass. (AP) — The Latest on a suspicious truck at a Massachusetts Air Force base (all times local):

1:45 p.m.

A moving truck that caused security concerns and the partial evacuation of an Air Force base in Massachusetts has been cleared.

The 66th Air Base Group said in a statement Thursday afternoon that Hanscom Air Force Base was returning to normal operations and personnel who had been evacuated were returning.

Officials said the truck had been stopped at a gate into the base Thursday morning after potentially explosive material was detected during a routine investigation.

While the vehicle has been cleared and there is no danger, the statement said pallets containing "potentially concerning residue" were removed and will be brought to a specialized facility for testing.

Police closed an exit on a road leading to the base, which is about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from Boston.

No injuries were reported.

___

12:20 p.m.

An Air Force base in Massachusetts has been partially evacuated after potentially explosive material was detected during a routine inspection of a truck at a gate.

In a message on Hanscom Air Force Base's website, security forces said they became concerned during an inspection Thursday morning.

Recommended
Vote Against America, Vote Democrat
Michael Reagan

The truck is owned by Big Foot Moving & Storage. A woman who answered the phone at the company's Acton headquarters said, "We don't know what's going on."

The base closed the gate and evacuated several nearby base facilities.

No injuries have been reported.

Police say they closed an exit on a road leading to the base, which is about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from Boston.

Hanscom Field, a commercial airport adjacent to the base, remained operational.