CHICAGO (AP) — A second man has been charged in the death of an Illinois judge who was gunned down outside his Chicago home earlier this month, authorities announced Thursday.
Chicago police said Earl Wilson, 45, has been charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 66-year-old Cook County Circuit Court Judge Raymond Myles.
Joshua Smith, 37, already has been charged with first-degree murder, aggravated battery and obstructing police. Smith, who authorities allege was the getaway driver after the shooting, is being held without bond at the Cook County Jail.
"We believe (Wilson) is the shooter in this reprehensible attack and was assisted by Mr. Smith," Cmdr. Rodney Blisset said, adding that the investigation continues.
It's not clear whether Wilson has an attorney who could comment on his behalf.
Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said police had identified Wilson as being at a higher risk of perpetrating gun violence or being a victim of it.
Wilson has a criminal record that includes a conviction of attempted murder in 1992, Johnson said. Wilson served 12 years of an 18-year prison sentence and since his release in 2004 has been arrested several times for vehicle theft, domestic battery and gun possession.
"When we fail to address the problem, we continue to get these same results," Johnson said. "Tragically, in this instance, it culminated in the injury of on innocent victim and took the life of a dedicated public servant."
Authorities have said that Myles was fatally shot while investigating a commotion involving a female friend outside his home on April 10. The woman had been shot in the leg.
Myles was shot multiple times after exchanging words with the person who shot his friend, authorities said. Robbery was the motive, they said.
Police have said that shell casings found outside Myles' home matched ballistics evidence from an attempted armed robbery in January.