The Latest: Coroner: Vigil held outside Cincinnati nightclub

AP News
|
Posted: Mar 28, 2017 8:14 PM
The Latest: Coroner: Vigil held outside Cincinnati nightclub

CINCINNATI (AP) — The Latest on the nightclub shooting in Cincinnati (all times local):

8:15 p.m.

A vigil has been held outside a Cincinnati nightclub where one person was killed and 16 others were injured in a shooting.

WXIX-TV (http://bit.ly/2neTCEU ) reports the police chief, city manager and others attended the vigil Tuesday evening outside the Cameo club.

Police Chief Eliot Isaac spoke to the crowd, calling the shooting a "senseless act."

Police estimate 200 people were inside early Sunday when a dispute escalated into a gunfight in which more than 20 shots were fired by an unknown number of shooters.

The Hamilton County coroner's office said earlier Tuesday that 27-year-old O'Bryan Spikes died from a single gunshot to the chest. Two other victims remain hospitalized in critical condition.

No arrests have been made.

The club operator says the venue will close its doors for good Friday.

___

11:45 a.m.

The Hamilton County coroner says the 27-year-old man killed in the Cincinnati nightclub shooting died of a single gunshot to the chest.

Andrea Hatten, chief administrator of the coroner's office, had no other information to release Tuesday on the death of O'Bryan Spikes. He died early Sunday after the Cameo club gun battle that police say injured 16 other people. Two remain in critical condition.

Cincinnati police have said they are making progress in their investigation, but they haven't named any possible suspects. Police say a dispute escalated into a gunfight involving an undetermined number of shooters who sprayed more than 20 shots. Some 200 people were inside.

The club operator says it will close its doors for good Friday.

___

8:30 a.m.

The operator of the Cincinnati nightclub where a gunfight killed one man and injured 16 other people denies reports that some patrons were allowed to bypass security.

Julian "Jay" Rodgers issued a statement late Monday rejecting claims by some Cameo club patrons that people paid cash to avoid long waits to get into the crowded club as "untrue." He says that wasn't permitted.

Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac said earlier he's aware of reports of a line to bypass the security checks that included metal detection wands, but police hadn't confirmed that.

Rodgers announced the club will close permanently as of March 31 after receiving notice to vacate from the property owner.

___

12:47 a.m.

A mother of five who was wounded in the Cincinnati nightclub shooting is describing a chaotic scene in which she and other club patrons were crawling over one another to reach the exits.

One man was killed and Angel Higgins and 15 other people were injured in the shooting at the Cameo club, a popular hip-hop music spot.

Higgins, who was shot in the leg, tells WCPO-TV that all she could think about was her kids.

Police say the initial investigation indicates a dispute in the bar escalated into a gunfight early Sunday. No suspects are in custody.

Late Monday, Cameo club operator Julian "Jay" Rodgers released a statement saying the venue would close its doors for good on Friday. The club had earlier surrendered its liquor license.