UN says fighting in 2 South Sudan hotspots is 'devastating'

AP News
|
Posted: Feb 14, 2017 12:01 AM
UN says fighting in 2 South Sudan hotspots is 'devastating'

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. peacekeeping department says in a confidential note to the Security Council that recent increased fighting in two hotspots in South Sudan is having "devastating consequences" for civilians.

The note, obtained Monday by The Associated Press, focuses on fighting between government and rebel forces in the Wau Shilluk area of the Upper Nile region that has caused humanitarian organizations to temporarily suspend operations there and in Central Equatoria's Kajo Keji county.

It says most civilians — approximately 20,400 internally displaced people and local inhabitants — fled Wau Shilluk earlier this month and 30,000 or more have fled three areas of Kajo Keiji since Jan. 22 as a result of fighting, insecurity and fear of reprisals.

South Sudan plunged into ethnic violence in December 2013 when rival forces started fighting.