The Latest: Victim's family relieved that settlement reached

AP News
|
Posted: Feb 08, 2017 9:32 PM
The Latest: Victim's family relieved that settlement reached

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on a settlement in a lawsuit brought by the family of a mentally ill black man who was fatally shot by Los Angeles police while struggling over an officer's gun (all times local):

6 p.m.

The attorney for the family of a mentally ill black man fatally shot by Los Angeles police in 2014 during a struggle over an officer's gun says they are relieved to have settled a civil rights lawsuit against the city.

The Los Angeles City Council approved the $1.5 million settlement with Ezell Ford's family on Wednesday.

The 25-year-old was fatally shot by Los Angeles police officers in August 2014 after authorities said he knocked an officer to the ground and tried to take his gun.

Prosecutors said the officers acted in self-defense when they shot and killed Ford. A police oversight board had found the officers had no reason to stop Ford, violating department policy.

Attorney Federico Sayre says Ford's family is relieved the settlement is finalized following significant opposition from the police union.

___

2:30 p.m.

The union representing Los Angeles police officers says it's "unfortunate" the city council approved a $1.5 million settlement with the family of a mentally ill black man who was fatally shot by police during a struggle over an officer's gun.

Los Angeles Police Protective League President Craig Lally says Wednesday the settlement with Ezell Ford's family sends the wrong message.

The 25-year-old Ford was killed in August 2014 after police said he knocked an officer to the ground and tried to take his gun.

Prosecutors said last month the officers acted lawfully and in self-defense when they shot and killed Ford.

Lally says the city has a "fiscally irresponsible pattern of settling civil claims."

A police oversight board had found the officers had no reason to stop Ford, violating department policy.

___

12 p.m.

The city of Los Angeles will pay $1.5 million to settle a lawsuit brought by the family of a black, mentally ill man who was killed by police during a struggle over an officer's gun.

The settlement was approved Wednesday by the Los Angeles City Council after Ezell Ford's family brought a civil rights lawsuit against the city.

The 25-year-old was killed in August 2014 after police said he knocked an officer to the ground and tried to take his gun.

Prosecutors said last month the officers acted lawfully and in self-defense when they shot and killed Ford. A police oversight board had found the officers had no reason to stop Ford, violating department policy.

Ford's death led to several Black Lives Matter protests in Los Angeles.