Lawsuit filed over fatal New Orleans deputy shooting

AP News
|
Posted: Feb 07, 2017 8:55 AM

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The girlfriend and son of a man who was fatally shot by deputies in New Orleans after a car chase last year have filed a wrongful death lawsuit.

News outlets report that the lawsuit was filed in Orleans Parish Civil District Court on Wednesday, nearly a year after deputies say 22-year-old Eric Harris crashed his car during a chase and began to back up the vehicle toward them, prompting authorities to fire.

Jefferson Parish deputies say they were chasing Harris because he pointed a gun at a group of people at a New Orleans-area mall Feb. 8.

Recommended
Enough's Enough
Walter E. Williams

The lawsuit says the deputies were inadequately trained and were "reckless" in shooting Harris.

Sheriff's office spokesman Col. John Fortunato says Sheriff Newell Normand hasn't had a chance to review the lawsuit.

Harris was black. The two deputies involved were white and black.