FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) — The Latest on the case against Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl (all times local):
A military judge has newly adjusted the trial date for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, saying the proceeding is to open in April 2017.
The judge, Army Col. Jeffery Nance, had initially decided Monday to move the trial back to mid-May. But on Tuesday, he said he had given it more thought and wants to start on April 18.
Bergdahl, who's from Hailey, Idaho, walked off his post in Afghanistan in 2009. He is charged with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy, the latter of which carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.
Previously the trial was set to open in February. But the prosecution recently requested a delay, citing the pace at which they are able to turn over classified evidence.
The judge also heard more testimony on whether to admit evidence of injuries to soldiers wounded in a firefight as they searched for Bergdahl in 2009. Nance said he'll rule later on whether that evidence should be allowed at trial.
A judge will hear more arguments Tuesday about whether injuries to soldiers on a search mission should be allowed as evidence that U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl endangered comrades by walking off his post in Afghanistan.
Prosecutors are arguing that two wounded soldiers' injuries should be allowed as evidence to show that Bergdahl's disappearance effectively put other military members in harm's way.
Bergdahl, who's from Hailey, Idaho, is charged with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy, the latter of which carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.
U.S. Air Force Maj. John Marx testified about a firefight that occurred after he and several others joined about 50 members of the Afghan National Army on a search for Bergdahl. They were attacked by enemy fighters after setting up a checkpoint near a town in Afghanistan on July 8, 2009.