WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on charges against former U.S. Rep. Aaron Shock (all times local):
A federal grand jury has indicted former U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock of Illinois on 24 counts including wire fraud, theft of funds.
The 35-year-old Republican from Peoria had been under investigation after a spending scandal that included the elaborate remodeling of his Capitol Hill office in the style of the television series "Downton Abbey."
Authorities made the announcement Thursday.
Schock had been a rising political star and prodigious fundraiser for the GOP. But he resigned in March 2015 amid intensifying scrutiny over real estate deals, extensive travel that he documented on his social media accounts and other spending documented by The Associated Press and other media outlets. The reports raised questions about improper mileage reimbursements, trips on donors' aircraft and more.
The former congressman downplayed the allegations in June, saying any wrongdoing was "honest mistakes."
Aaron Schock's defense team says it's been told that the former Illinois congressman is being indicted by a federal grand jury.
Schock's attorney, George Terwilliger, calls the expected charges a "misuse" of prosecutorial power by the Justice Department.
Federal prosecutors in Illinois were expected to announce charges later Thursday.
Schock, a 35-year-old Republican from Peoria, had been under investigation after a spending scandal that included the elaborate remodeling of his Capitol Hill office in the style of the television series "Downtown Abbey." He resigned last year from the House of Representatives.
In a statement obtained by The Associated Press, Schock says he never intentionally did anything wrong and that he's eager to defend his name and reputation.
He says his case shows that "our government cannot be trusted."