DETROIT (AP) — The former president of the Detroit City Council pleaded guilty Wednesday to criminal sexual conduct with a teen more than a decade ago when he was a TV journalist.
Charles Pugh's plea deal is the latest turn in his incredible plunge since he was elected council president in 2009 as the top vote-getter in Detroit. He suddenly quit his post in 2013 and mysteriously left the city for New York as allegations surfaced about sexual misconduct.
The plea deal calls for a minimum prison sentence of 5 ½ years, after which Pugh will be eligible for parole. He also must register as a sex offender.
"I think it's justice because the most important thing is that people know that he's a sexual predator," the victim said outside court.
He testified in August that he was under 16 when he engaged in sex acts with Pugh in 2003 and 2004. He said they met during a visit to WJBK-TV.
Separately, a jury last year ordered Pugh to pay $250,000 for sexually harassing a teen who turned to him as a school mentor during his time on the council. Pugh didn't attend the trial.
In 2014, a TV station found him working as a waiter in New York, months after leaving Detroit. Pugh will be sentenced on Nov. 9.