The Latest: Union: About time Minneapolis officers cleared

AP News
|
Posted: Oct 21, 2016 5:43 PM

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Latest on an internal investigation by Minneapolis police into the November 2015 fatal shooting of a black man by two white officers on the city's north side (all times local):

4:45 p.m.

The head of the Minneapolis police union says it's about time that two officers were fully cleared in the fatal shooting of a black man last November.

Bob Kroll says Officers Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze have been through nearly a year of investigations following the death of 24-year-old Jamar Clark.

Both Schwarze and Ringgenberg have been on desk duty since returning to work after the incident, but Kroll expects them to return to patrols with the internal review complete.

Kroll says it's been "devastating" for them.

Chief Janee Harteau (HAR'-toh) said Friday that the officers followed proper procedure.

Clark's death sparked weeks of protests on the city's north side.

___

4:35 p.m.

An attorney for the family of a black Minneapolis man who died in a confrontation with police last November says they're anguished that the officers involved won't face departmental discipline.

Police said Friday that an internal investigation found that the two officers, both white, followed proper procedure in the events leading up to the death of 24-year-old Jamar Clark.

Albert Goins, an attorney for Clark's sister Tiffany Roberson, says the family is frustrated. He questioned the thoroughness of the department's investigation and said a civil lawsuit is forthcoming.

Some witnesses told police that Clark was handcuffed when he was shot, and his death set off weeks of protests. But an outside investigation by the state Department of Criminal Apprehension found that officers had tried but failed to handcuff Clark and the shooting came after he had his hand on an officer's gun.

Both the county prosecutor and the U.S. attorney declined earlier to bring charges against the officers.

___

4 p.m.

Police in Minneapolis say two officers involved in the fatal shooting of a black man last November won't face discipline.

Chief Janee Harteau (HAR'-toh) announced the result of an internal investigation Friday at a news conference.

The investigation stemmed from the death of 24-year-old Jamar Clark during a confrontation with two white police officers. Some witnesses told police that Clark was handcuffed at the time.

But an investigation by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension found that the officers had tried and failed to handcuff Clark, and he was shot in the ensuing confrontation after one of the officers shouted that Clark had his hand on the officer's gun.

Harteau said the officers didn't violate any policy and the use of deadly force was warranted.

The local county attorney and the U.S. attorney both declined to bring charges against the officers.

___

3 p.m.

Police in Minneapolis say they have an update in an investigation tied to the fatal shooting of a black man last year.

Jamar Clark died in November in a confrontation with two white officers on the city's north side. The 24-year-old's death set off weeks of protests, including an 18-day tent encampment around the area's police precinct. Neither officer was charged.

Police say they'll release information Friday on their internal investigation. No details were immediately released.

Some witnesses said Clark was handcuffed when he was shot. But investigators say the officers tried but failed to handcuff Clark, who was shot in the ensuing struggle after one officer shouted that Clark had his hand on an officer's gun.

The local prosecutor and the U.S. attorney in Minneapolis declined to file charges.