MOSCOW (AP) — Separatist rebels and government troops are both reporting violations of a cease-fire that was supposed to begin in eastern Ukraine at midnight on Wednesday.
Rebels on Tuesday declared a unilateral cease-fire, and the visiting German foreign minister said the following day Ukraine had also agreed to observe the truce.
Russian state television on Thursday quoted rebel officials as saying their forces came under mortar fire earlier that day. Ukrainian military spokesman Oleksander Motuzyanik said three servicemen had been wounded and that rebels violated the cease-fire six times.
On Thursday, a new report from the United Nations' human rights division raised its tally of people killed in the conflict to 9,640. The fighting started in April 2014.
The foreign ministers of France and Germany, key mediators in the Ukrainian peace process, met with Ukraine's president, Petro Poroshenko, on Wednesday and are expected to travel to the east on Thursday.