RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The family of a 2-year-old Virginia girl is asking the state's Supreme Court to block a hospital from performing a brain death test on the toddler who choked on a piece of popcorn.
In a petition recently filed with the Virginia Supreme Court, Mirranda Lawson's family ask the justices to overturn a lower court ruling that said the doctors with the Virginia Commonwealth University Health System can perform the apnea test for brain death.
The Richmond Circuit Court ruled against the Lawsons in June but allowed them to pay a $30,000 bond barring the hospital from conducting the test while they appeal to the Supreme Court.
Lawson's doctors have said they're certain she won't recover. Lawson's parents have refused to allow the test, saying they worry it will harm her.