Afghan teenager met Munich gunman shortly before attack: prosecutor

Reuters News
|
Posted: Jul 25, 2016 5:55 AM

MUNICH (Reuters) - A 16-year-old Afghan youth who was arrested on Sunday had been in contact via WhatsApp with an 18-year-old gunman who killed nine people in Munich on Friday and met him just before the attack, the Bavarian public prosecutor said on Monday.

"This (WhatsApp) chat and questioning as a suspect has shown that the Afghan met the gunman directly before the gun attack at what was later the scene of the crime," senior public prosecutor Thomas Steinkraus-Koch told a news conference in Munich.

The WhatsApp chat also showed the Afghan knew the attacker was in possession of a Glock 17 firearm, Steinkraus-Koch said, adding that the two teenagers got to know each other in the summer of last year when undergoing psychiatric care.

Recommended
Eyes On The Prizefighters
Ann Coulter

(Writing by Paul Carrel; Editing by Joseph Nasr)