Official: Electrical glitch ignited fire at California pier

AP News
|
Posted: Jun 07, 2016 5:37 PM
Official: Electrical glitch ignited fire at California pier

SEAL BEACH, Calif. (AP) — A city official says an accidental electrical malfunction caused the huge fire that gutted a vacant restaurant at the ocean end of Southern California's Seal Beach Pier last month.

Seal Beach Councilwoman Ellery Deaton said Monday in an email to constituents that the blaze was accidentally sparked at a bait shop near the restaurant.

Dozens of firefighters in boats and atop the pier fought the blaze May 20 that left the structure, a former Ruby's Diner, in ruins.

Deaton cited an Orange County Fire Authority report that she said would be made public this week.

Fire Capt. Larry Kurtz confirmed to the Orange County Register (http://bit.ly/1rbwZTc ) that city officials were briefed on the report. He declined to detail the fire's cause.

The pier dates to the early 1900s and was rebuilt in the 1980s.