The Latest: Prosecutor says kidnapper 'terrorized' teen girl

AP News
|
Posted: May 26, 2016 7:14 PM
The Latest: Prosecutor says kidnapper 'terrorized' teen girl

LACONIA, N.H. (AP) — The Latest on a New Hampshire man who kidnapped a teenage girl and repeatedly raped her during nine months of captivity (all times local):

7 p.m.

A prosecutor says a man who kidnapped and repeatedly raped a 14-year-old girl let her return to her New Hampshire home after nine months because he was convinced he'd "terrorized her enough" that she wouldn't reveal his identity.

Thirty-five-year-old Nathaniel Kibby pleaded guilty Thursday to kidnapping, rape, criminal threatening and witness tampering.

Prosecutor Jane Young says Kibby returned the girl to her North Conway home because he believed she wasn't going to tell the truth.

The girl is now 17 years old. She told a packed courtroom she thinks daily about the crimes Kibby committed against her. But she also thanked him for freeing her in July 2014.

Prosecutors say Kibby's plea deal calls for him to be sentenced to 45-90 years in prison.

___

6:30 p.m.

A New Hampshire man has pleaded guilty to kidnapping and raping a 14-year-old girl he held captive for nine months.

Thirty-five-year-old Nathaniel Kibby entered the pleas in Belknap County Superior Court on Thursday as the girl listened.

Prosecutors say the plea deal means he won't face federal charges. The prosecutor is asking for a sentence of 45 to 90 years in prison.

Kibby pleaded guilty to aggravated felonious sex assault, kidnapping, criminal threatening, witness tampering and other counts.

The teen is giving her victim impact statement to the court.

___

6 p.m.

A prosecutor says a man charged with kidnapping a 14-year-old girl and raping her during nine months of captivity offered her a ride home from her New Hampshire school and then brandished a gun when she attempted to get out of his car.

Prosecutor Jane Young says the girl and 35-year-old Nathaniel Kibby didn't know each other and she accepted a ride because she'd worn boots to school and her feet were blistered.

Young says when the girl tried to get out of the car in a parking lot Kibby pulled out the gun and threatened to "blow her brains out." Young says he also threatened to slit the girl's throat.

Kibby has pleaded not guilty. But Young outlined the case against him Thursday at a change-of-plea hearing before he was to enter his new plea.

___

5:45 p.m.

A change-of-plea court hearing has begun for a man who initially pleaded not guilty to charges he kidnapped a 14-year-old girl and raped her repeatedly during nine months of captivity in New Hampshire.

Thirty-five-year-old Nathaniel Kibby had been scheduled to go on trial next month in Belknap County Superior Court in Laconia on nearly 200 felony charges related to the girl's October 2013 disappearance and the months that followed.

The now-17-year-old girl is in court for the hearing. It's unclear when Thursday's hearing will end.

Prosecutors say Kibby used a stun gun and a shock collar to control the girl at his trailer in Gorham (GOR'-em).

Kibby's lawyers have declined to comment.

___

5:20 p.m.

Law enforcement officers have packed into a New Hampshire courthouse hallway to await the start of a hearing at which a man who pleaded not guilty to charges he kidnapped and raped a 14-year-old girl plans to enter a change of plea.

Prosecutors say the girl was kidnapped in 2013 and was held captive for nine months.

The Laconia courtroom has yet to open for the scheduled Thursday evening hearing in the case of 35-year-old Nathaniel Kibby. It's unclear when the delayed hearing will begin.

Kibby was scheduled to go to trial next month on nearly 200 felony charges related to the girl's October 2013 disappearance and the months that followed.

Kibby's lawyers have declined to comment. Prosecutors say Kibby used a stun gun and a shock collar to control the girl at his trailer in Gorham (GOR'-em).

___

3:15 p.m.

Court officials say a man who pleaded not guilty to charges he kidnapped a 14-year-old girl and raped her repeatedly during nine months of captivity in New Hampshire is planning to enter a change of plea.

Thirty-five-year-old Nathaniel Kibby was scheduled to go on trial next month in Belknap County Superior Court in Laconia on nearly 200 felony charges related to the girl's October 2013 disappearance and the months that followed.

Court officials say a change-of-plea hearing has been scheduled for Thursday. Details of the change of plea haven't been disclosed.

Kibby's lawyers have declined to comment. They had sought to question the girl before his trial but were denied.

Prosecutors say Kibby used a stun gun and a shock collar to control the girl at his trailer in Gorham (GOR'-em).

___

This item has been corrected to show court officials announced the change of plea on Thursday, not Friday.