Family of teen killed by Chicago police sues city: report

Reuters News
|
Posted: Apr 20, 2016 12:09 PM

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The family of a black teenager shot and killed by a Chicago police officer earlier this month filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the city and two unidentified officers, local media reported on Wednesday.

The lawsuit alleges that police gave false and incomplete versions of the shooting to make it look like officers were in imminent danger during the incident, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Neither a representative of the family or the city of Chicago's Law Department could be reached for comment.

Police have said Pierre Loury was shot after an armed confrontation during a brief foot chase following a traffic stop on April 11.

The lawsuit was filed just a week after a mayoral task force issued a report that said the Chicago Police Department is not doing enough to combat racial bias among officers or to protect city residents' human and civil rights. Mayor Rahm Emanuel set up the panel in December after days of street protests triggered by video of the fatal shooting in 2014 of black teenager Laquan McDonald by a white police officer.

The U.S. Justice Department began an investigation into the department's use of force, including deadly force, following the McDonald shooting.

(Reporting by Mark Weinraub; Editing by Frances Kerry)