LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on the FBI's efforts to unlock an iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino, California, attackers (all times local):
The chief of the FBI's Los Angeles office says it will take at least two weeks to know whether an alternate method will unlock an encrypted iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino attackers.
Assistant Director in Charge David Bowdich told The Associated Press that's why the government asked to cancel a court hearing that had been set in the matter Tuesday. Now the government will be testing whether the alternate method will unlock the phone without compromising its data.
They will have to file a status report on the testing by April 5.
The hearing that was canceled was centered on the FBI's demand for Apple to help unlock the iPhone used by one of the shooters in the Dec. 2 San Bernardino terror attack.
Bowdich says the government was "very ready" to argue its points at the hearing when a third party came emerged with a possible alternate method. He says the government feels that the alternate method is "a good shot."