The Latest: Boy dies after rockets from Syria land in Turkey

AP News
|
Posted: Mar 08, 2016 9:52 AM

GENEVA (AP) — The Latest on Syria's conflict (all times local):

3:50 p.m.

A 4-year-old child has died of his wounds after rockets fired from Islamic State-controlled territory in Syria landed on the Turkish side of the border, raising the death toll from the attack to two.

The mayor of the border city of Kilis, Hasan Kara, said Tuesday that Turkish artillery retaliated by firing at IS targets in Syria.

As many as eight rockets landed in Turkey, with at least one of them hitting a populated neighborhood in Kilis and killing a woman and injuring two boys riding inside a car. The youngest boy died on his way to hospital, while his 6-year-old brother was in stable condition.

Kara said residents were being urged to stay indoors. Schools in Kilis were evacuated and would remain closed.

The Turkish military has been retaliating to any rockets or shells fired from Syria that land on Turkish territory in line with its rules of engagement.

___

2:10 p.m.

An official says at least three rockets fired from Syria have landed on the Turkish side of the border, killing one person and injuring another.

The mayor of the border city of Kilis, Hasan Kara, said one of the rockets hit a populated neighborhood causing the casualties and widespread panic. Two other rockets exploded on empty land.

The state-run Anadolu Agency said one of the rockets landed in an area close to a hospital.

It was not immediately clear who fired the rockets or whether Turkey's military has fired back in response.

The Turkish military has been retaliating to any rockets or shells fired from Syria that land on Turkish territory.

___

11:20 a.m.

The U.N. envoy for Syria will begin holding "substantive" talks between the Syrian government and the opposition no later than Monday.

A spokeswoman for Staffan de Mistura says the talks will officially start on Wednesday but logistics and other issues mean that delegations are likely to arrive in Geneva over several days.

Spokeswoman Jessy Chahine specified the timetable on Tuesday, amid media reports giving various dates for the start of the talks.

The last attempt at peace talks collapsed within days in early February over a Russian-backed government offensive near the northern city of Aleppo. A U.S. and Russian-brokered cease-fire that began late last month has significantly reduced the violence.

Chahine says a task force focused on humanitarian aid and ceasing hostilities would meet Wednesday.