Michigan Uber shooting victim to leave hospital on Tuesday

Reuters News
|
Posted: Mar 08, 2016 9:21 AM

DETROIT (Reuters) - A 14-year-old Michigan girl critically wounded during a deadly shooting spree allegedly committed by an Uber driver will leave the hospital on Tuesday, according to online posts by her mother and a family friend.

"Abbie is improving every day. Tomorrow she will be sent to a rehab facility," the friend, Martha Thawnghmung, said Monday on a Go Fund Me page to help pay for Abigail Kopf's hospital costs.

The girl initially was in critical condition after she was shot in a Cracker Barrel parking lot on Feb. 20 during a five-hour shooting rampage that left six people dead in Kalamazoo, about 150 miles (240 km) west of Detroit.

Jason Dalton, 45, is charged with shooting eight people, killing six of them in between driving customers for the Uber car service.

Dalton was arrested early on Feb. 21 and denied bail the next day at a court hearing, where a detective testified that Dalton had admitted to the shootings.

Last week, a judge ordered Dalton, who faces six murder counts that could bring life in prison, to undergo a competency exam.

Abigail Kopf's mother, Vickie, has been providing updates on her daughter's improving condition.

"Spent most of the day in Abby's room watching movies. We had a good time abbie wasn't feeling the greatest today," Vickie Kopf said on Facebook on Monday. She later said they were leaving for rehab on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Ben Klayman; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)