MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A spokesman for the Minneapolis mayor says the U.S. Department of Justice has agreed to review how the city responded to demonstrations after a black man was fatally shot by police last year.
The Justice Department's Office of Community Oriented Policing Services won't release details until Thursday. But Mayor Betsy Hodges' spokesman David Prestwood told The Associated Press on Wednesday the COPS Office will assess how the city responded to protesters' occupation of a north Minneapolis police station.
Prestwood says the review will not be limited to the Minneapolis Police Department.
Hodges and Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau asked for the independent review last month.
Protesters staged an 18-day occupation outside the police station after 24-year-old Jamar Clark was fatally shot Nov. 15 during what police said was a struggle.