BEIRUT (Reuters) - Hezbollah said on Tuesday that Lebanon had been pushed into a new phase of political conflict by Saudi Arabia since its decision to halt an aid package to the Lebanese army, but the country was not on the brink of civil war.
"It is clear that since ... the announcement to halt grants and other Saudi measures we have entered a new phase of political and media struggle which Saudi Arabia has escalated," Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said.
But he said it was in Lebanon's national interest for a national unity government grouping enemies and allies of Saudi Arabia to survive, and Iranian-backed Hezbollah did not intend to resign from the cabinet.
Speaking in a televised address, Nasrallah also said Saudi Arabia was seeking Sunni-Shi'ite strife in the Middle East, and accused it of directing car bomb attacks in Lebanon.
(Writing by Tom Perry; Editing by Alison Williams)