ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — The Latest on the large explosion in the Turkish capital Ankara (all times local):
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has sharply condemned the attack in the Turkish capital that killed at least 28 people and wounded 61 others.
The chancellor said in a statement Wednesday that she was horrified by the attack in Ankara and that her thoughts were with the families of the victims and the injured.
She said: "I'm telling the Turkish people: we as Germans are sharing your pain."
She added: "In the battle against those responsible for these inhuman acts we are on the side of Turkey."
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has condemned the attack in the country's capital saying it exceeds all "moral and humane boundaries."
Erdogan said Wednesday his country is determined to fight those who carried out the attack as well as the "forces" behind the assailants.
The attack Wednesday targeted vehicles carrying military personnel that had stopped at traffic lights. At least 28 people were killed.
NATO's secretary general says he strongly condemns the "terrorist attack" in Ankara that killed at least 28 people and wounded 61 others.
In a statement Wednesday, Jens Stoltenberg offered his "deepest condolences to the families of those killed and to the Turkish people."
He said there can be no justification "for such horrific acts" and that "NATO Allies stand shoulder to shoulder in the fight against terrorism."
This item has been corrected to show the name of the secretary general is Jens Stoltenberg.
Turkey's deputy prime minister says President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has canceled a planned visit to Azerbaijan following the deadly attack in the country's capital.
Numan Kurtulmus says Erdogan was due in Baku on Thursday for talks with his Azerbaijani counterpart.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu also canceled a visit to Brussels due to the attack in Ankara Wednesday that killed at least 28 people and wounded 61 others.
Davutoglu had been due to discuss the refugee crisis in Europe.
Turkey's deputy prime minister says the explosion in Ankara has killed 28 people and wounded 61 others.
Numan Kurtulmus confirmed that Wednesday's explosion was caused by a car bomb and targeted military vehicles that were carrying armed forces personnel.
He said seven prosecutors have been assigned to investigate the attack, which he described as "well-planned."
Kurtulmus said no group had yet claimed responsibility, but pledged authorities would find those behind the attack.
The U.S. ambassador to Turkey says he is "deeply saddened and shocked" by the attack in Ankara that killed at least 18 people.
In a message on Twitter Wednesday Ambassador John Bass said: "Our hearts and prayers go out to those affected."
British Ambassador Richard Moore also offered his condolences through Twitter, writing that the "UK stands shoulder to shoulder with Turkey at this difficult time."
Authorities say at least 45 people have been wounded in the explosion that was apparently caused by a car bomb and targeted military personnel.
The governor of Ankara has raised the death toll in the attack in the Turkish capital to 18.
Mehmet Kiliclar says at least 45 others were wounded in the attack Wednesday apparently targeting vehicles that were carrying military personnel.
Earlier the governor said the explosion is believed to have been caused by a car bomb.
Turkey's military says the attack that killed at least five people in the capital Ankara targeted military vehicles carrying personnel.
A statement from the military said the vehicles were attacked as they stopped at traffic lights Wednesday.
The military added that it condemned the "contemptible and dastardly" attack.
The governor of Ankara says at least five people were killed and 10 others wounded in the explosion that is believed to have been caused by a car bomb.
Turkey's state-run agency says the government has imposed a media gag order following a bombing that killed at least five people and wounded 10 others.
The Anadolu Agency says Wednesday that the gag order bans media organizations from broadcasting or printing graphic images of the dead or injured from the scene of the explosion. The blast occurred in an area near military headquarters and parliament.
Turkey has imposed similar bans after previous attacks.
Turkey's prime minister has canceled a planned visit to Brussels following the explosion in the Turkish capital.
Ahmet Davutoglu had been scheduled to travel to Brussels later Wednesday.
Instead, Davutoglu attended a security meeting with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and other officials.
At least five people were killed and 10 others were wounded in the blast in an area near military headquarters and parliament.
The governor of Ankara says at least five people have been killed and 10 others were wounded in the explosion that rocked the Turkish capital.
Mehmet Kiliclar said Wednesday officials believe the explosion was caused by a car bomb.
The explosion occurred during rush hour in an area some 300 meters (328 yards) away from military headquarters.
Media reports say a large explosion, believed to have been caused by a bomb, has wounded several people in the Turkish capital.
Dogan news agency says Wednesday's explosion occurred near military lodgings. The explosion caused a large fire and dark smoke could be seen billowing from a distance.
Police told The Associated Press they are investigating the cause of the explosion.