By Mohammed Mukhashaf
ADEN (Reuters) - A suicide bomber killed at least 10 recruits at a Yemeni army camp run by President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's government in the southern port city of Aden on Wednesday, medical sources and a security official said.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, the latest in a series of bombings rattling the city since Saudi-backed forces captured Yemen's second-largest city from the Iran-allied Houthis in July last year.
Several people were also wounded in the attack targeting hundreds of new recruits at the Ras Abbas camp in Aden's Buraiqa district. It was recently set up by Hadi's government to absorb new conscripts being trained to fight the Houthis.
The official said
The bomber wore a military uniform used by the new recruits, enabling him to penetrate the crowd undetected and detonate the bomb at the camp gate, officials said.
Witnesses described ambulances racing to evacuate the wounded, as troops surrounded the area to keep onlookers away.
"The explosion shook the camp violently and it could be heard miles away," one witness told Reuters by telephone.
Medics at a nearby hospital said they had received 10 bodies. Dozens of wounded were taken to other hospitals in Aden.
Islamic State, in a statement published on its online media arm Amaq, said that a bomber wearing an explosives vest blew himself up at the Ras Abbas camp.
Residents had said that Islamic State, one of several armed groups that operate in southern Yemen, had recently warned young Yemenis against joining the army being set up by Hadi's government.
On Tuesday, Aden's governor and security director survived a gun attack by unknown assailants on their convoy in the city.
Last month, a suicide bomber killed six people in an attack on a checkpoint on the road leading to Hadi's presidential palace in Aden.
(Reporting by Mohammed Mukhashaf; Writing by Sami Aboudi; Editing by Yara Bayoumy and Tom Heneghan)