COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The Latest on an Ohio restaurant attack by a machete-wielding man later killed by police (all times local):
Police say information connected to the registration of a car driven by a suspect in a restaurant machete attack led them to contact the FBI.
Columbus police spokesman Sgt. Rich Weiner says the information triggered an alert that required contacting the local terrorism task force, which then contacted the FBI. He wouldn't describe the information.
Columbus Police Chief Kim Jacobs said Friday that authorities don't have a motive yet and the man wasn't known to police.
FBI spokesman Todd Lindgren would say only that the agency is assisting Columbus police in its investigation.
The owner of an Ohio restaurant where a man attacked patrons with a machete before being killed by police says he believes his establishment was targeted because he is Israeli, but the FBI isn't so sure.
Hany Baransi tells The Columbus Dispatch that he thinks the machete-wielding man purposely chose the Nazareth Restaurant and Deli on Thursday instead of one of the other nearby businesses in the strip mall.
FBI Special Agent Rick Smith says it's too early in the investigation to jump to any conclusions.
Authorities identified the attacker as 30-year-old Mohamed Barry. He was fatally shot by an officer after fleeing the scene. Officers unsuccessfully used a stun gun first, and Barry was shot after lunging at the officers.
Four people at the restaurant were injured, one critically.
Authorities have identified the man they say attacked people with a machete during dinnertime at a central Ohio restaurant and was shot by a policeman after fleeing the scene.
Columbus police on Friday identified the man as 30-year-old Mohamed Barry. They didn't give a hometown for him.
A police spokesman says an attempt to stop the suspect using a stun gun was unsuccessful, and an officer shot him when he lunged. Police say the officer involved in the shooting is a 25-year veteran.
Three men and one woman were hurt in the Thursday evening machete attack in northeast Columbus. Police say a 54-year-old man remained in critical but stable condition Friday at a hospital. Another man and woman were in stable condition. The fourth victim had been treated and released.
Recorded 911 calls about a machete attack at an Ohio restaurant show the shock many people felt as the stunning scene unfolded.
The Thursday evening attack occurred in northeast Columbus. Four people were hurt, and the suspect was fatally shot by police after he fled.
A man reported that the attacker entered the restaurant and "started hacking at people."
A woman said the man "just started running through the restaurant." She said she ran to a nearby fast-food restaurant with her two children and hid in a bathroom there.
Minutes later, another caller reported that he'd been hit by a car in the area and that, in his words, "a long weapon flew up in the air after he hit us."
Police haven't publicly identified the man who was shot.
Authorities say a machete attack at an Ohio restaurant left one of the four victims with critical injuries. The suspect was fatally shot by police after fleeing.
Police say one person was taken to Grant Medical Center in critical condition after the Thursday evening attack at a Mediterranean restaurant in northeast Columbus. They say two others were taken in stable condition, and one person drove himself there.
A spokeswoman said Friday that the hospital had no information to release about them.
It's unclear what motivated the attack.
A police spokesman says officers found and confronted the man, who was holding a machete and a knife. Sgt. Rich Weiner (WY'-nur) says police tried unsuccessfully to use a stun gun, then shot the man when he lunged at them.
Police say quick observations by employees and patrons witnessing a machete attack at an Ohio restaurant helped authorities track down the fleeing suspect, who was fatally shot in a confrontation with officers a few miles away.
A Columbus police spokesman says witnesses gave a great description of the white getaway car and even took video that provided partial information on the license plate. Sgt. Rich Weiner (WY'-nur) says officers confronted the man, who was holding a machete and a knife. Weiner says police tried unsuccessfully to use a stun gun on him, then shot him when he lunged at officers.
It's unclear what motivated the Thursday evening attack at a Mediterranean restaurant in northeast Columbus. Four people were hospitalized; there was no immediate word on the extent of their injuries or condition.
Weiner says it appeared to be a random attack.