RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The Latest on appeals involving a federal court decision directing North Carolina legislators to redraw congressional maps (all times local):
A federal court won't change its ruling demanding new two congressional districts be drawn by next week.
The U.S. District Court in Greensboro denied a motion from attorneys for the state of North Carolina asking enforcement of its order to be delayed because the state's primary is so close — on March 15.
A three-judge panel called the 1st and 12th Districts unlawful because lawmakers relied too much on race drawing them. District Judge William Osteen wrote Tuesday there would be irreparable harm to the plaintiffs and the districts' other voters if they had to cast ballots again within the boundaries.
The state has said it would go to the U.S. Supreme Court if its motion was denied.
Attorneys for voters who sued to strike down two of North Carolina's congressional districts want a federal court to keep demanding new boundaries by the end of next week.
The lawyers filed a response Tuesday to the state of North Carolina's request to delay the court's order for new lines to be drawn. The state says absentee voting has already started for the March 15 primary and drawing new lines now would be confusing.
The voters' attorneys argue millions of residents were forced to cast ballots in racially gerrymandered districts in 2012 and 2014 and would suffer irreparable damages if they must do so again.
A panel of judges last week found the 1st and 12th Districts unconstitutional because lawmakers relied too much on race in drawing them.