Italy's Renzi drops objection to EU migration funds to Turkey

Reuters News
|
Posted: Feb 01, 2016 12:14 PM

ROME (Reuters) - Italy will contribute to a 3 billion euro ($3.27 billion) fund to help Turkey tackle the European migration crisis, Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said on Monday, dropping objections which had been blocking implementation of the plan.

"At this point we will give our contribution to Turkey to save human lives," Renzi told reporters during a visit to Nigeria, in comments later circulated by a spokesman.

Renzi said the European Union's decision to exempt contributions to the fund from member states' deficit targets was "finally something positive".

(Reporting by Francesca Piscioneri, writing by Isla Binnie)