CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on the release of hundreds of documents related to the fatal shooting of black teenager by a white Chicago police officer (all times local):
Protesters against gun violence and police shootings marched down Chicago's Michigan Avenue on New Year's Eve.
Students from Northern Illinois University were part of the demonstration on Thursday afternoon in memory of 19-year-old Quintonio Legrier, a student at the school who was fatally shot by a Chicago police officer on Saturday. Bettie Jones, a 55-year-old neighbor of Legrier, was accidentally shot on Saturday.
WLS-TV reports (http://abc7.ws/1SoxcwT ) that the Rev. Michael Pfleger of St. Sabina Church also was part of the protest. He says the bloodshed in Chicago is unacceptable and "it's got to stop."
Other protests also are planned Thursday, including one at City Hall and a downtown federal prison.
Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez says she has asked the FBI for its help investigating a double fatal shooting by Chicago police.
Alvarez said Thursday that the shooting "demands a very deliberate and meticulous independent investigation." Chicago police say an officer on Saturday fatally shot 55-year-old Bettie Jones, who police said was shot accidentally, and 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier.
The request comes as city officials face increased scrutiny over police shootings. Earlier Thursday, the Chicago mayor's administration released hundreds of emails related to a recently released video that shows an officer shooting a black teenager 16 times in October 2014.
The city's main police oversight agency, the Independent Police Review Authority, is investigating the weekend shooting. Alvarez urged the agency to perform a thorough investigation. She said her office will review the results and determine if criminal charges are warranted.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's administration has released hundreds of emails related to a video that shows a white police officer shooting a black teenager 16 times.
The city's law department released the emails to reporters Thursday morning.
The release follows weeks of protests that began after a judge ordered the release of the video last month, more than a year after the October 2014 shooting.
The video shows 17-year-old Laquan McDonald veering away from police before he was shot by Officer Jason Van Dyke, who is now charged with first-degree murder.
Van Dyke and other officers on the scene filed reports saying that the teen lunged at the officer with a knife.
Van Dyke has pleaded not guilty. He was charged just hours before the footage was released.
The shooting prompted a federal civil-rights investigation of the Chicago Police Department.