CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on Chicago police shootings, including one in 2014 in which an officer has been charged with murder for killing a teenager (all times local):
Chicago officials are expected to announce changes in police training, including a requirement that every officer responding to service calls be equipped with a Taser.
A statement from Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office late Tuesday night said Emanuel and Interim Police Superintendent John Escalante would announce Wednesday "a major overhaul" of the policy regarding how officers respond to incidents and the use of force.
The statement said the police department will also begin to require every officer who "responds to calls for service" to be equipped with a Taser and trained to use it by June 1, 2016.
Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi didn't immediately return a message from The Associated Press seeking further details.
The police department has been under scrutiny since a dashcam video was released last month showing a white officer shooting a black 17-year-old 16 times.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is back in Chicago after cutting short a family vacation in Cuba following another high-profile police shooting over the weekend.
A spokesman for the mayor, Adam Collins, confirmed late Tuesday that Emanuel had arrived in Chicago.
Emanuel has come under pressure from community activists to resign since a video of a white police officer shooting black teenager Laquan McDonald was released last month.
It was unclear if the mayor was at his home, where protesters had gathered outside earlier Tuesday.
Police on Saturday fatally shot 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier and a downstairs neighbor, 55-year-old Bettie Jones, as they responded to a domestic disturbance. They say Jones was accidentally hit.
A vigil has been held at a high school for a 19-year-old fatally shot over the weekend by Chicago police along with a 55-year-old downstairs neighbor.
Many of Quintonio LeGrier's former classmates at Gwendolyn Brooks College Prep gathered at the school to remember him Tuesday.
Several attendees told WLS-TV (http://abc7.ws/1JeFENh ) that LeGrier was an A-student and a good athlete who ran a marathon.
LeGrier graduated from the school in 2013. He was home from college — where he studied engineering — when he was shot.
Police say LeGrier was "combative" early Saturday morning when shot by patrols responding to a domestic-disturbance call. They say the neighbor, Bettie Jones, was accidentally hit by gunfire.
Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner says the latest fatal shootings by Chicago police raise questions about why officers don't have more options besides using lethal force.
In a statement Tuesday, Rauner says the Saturday shootings of 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier and 55-year-old Bettie Jones are "deeply troubling."
The Republican says, "This tragedy further underscores the need for a broad and deep federal investigation, which I continue to strongly support."
The Justice Department announced a civil rights investigation of the Chicago Police Department after the city last month released squad-car video of a white officer shooting a black teenager 16 times last year.
Police say LeGrier was "combative" Saturday when shot by police responding to a domestic disturbance. They acknowledge Jones was accidentally hit by gunfire.
A small group of people has gathered outside Mayor Rahm Emanuel's home to protest shootings by Chicago police and call for Emanuel to resign.
About 20 people turned out Tuesday afternoon, the same day Emanuel was scheduled to return home from a vacation to Cuba. It was unclear if the mayor or his family were home.
Protests have occurred across Chicago since the city — under a court order — released squad-car video last month showing a white officer shooting a black teenager 16 times. Officer Jason Van Dyke pleaded not guilty Tuesday to six murder counts for the October 2014 death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
Critics have accused Emanuel of keeping the video under wraps until after he won a second term in April.
Emanuel has denied the allegation and has repeatedly said he won't step down.
An aide to Mayor Rahm Emanuel has allegedly been assaulted while attending a vigil for two people who were fatally shot by Chicago police.
A police spokesman says a man approached the 50-year-old staff member at a Sunday vigil for 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier and 55-year-old Bettie Jones. The man cursed the mayor, then punched and kicked the male aide.
Police say no one was arrested. According to a police report the two man and the Emanuel staff member had a previous altercation.
Emanuel spokesman Adam Collins said Tuesday the office is aware of an "altercation" involving a mayoral staffer. Collins says, "We take this matter very seriously and the incident is under review."
LeGrier and Jones were shot and killed by police early Saturday after officers responded to a report of a domestic disturbance.
Police have said LeGrier was "combative" toward officers before he was shot and Jones, a neighbor, was accidentally hit by gunfire.
The defense attorney for the white Chicago officer charged with murder in the death of a black teenager says "more education" for officers is a good thing.
Defense attorney Dan Herbert said that Officer Jason Van Dyke, who pleaded not guilty to the charges on Tuesday, is "hanging in there" and wants to tell his side of the story so that he's not seen "as this cold-blooded killer."
Herbert also said that they haven't ruled out asking for a change of venue.
Van Dyke shot 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in October 2014. The city released squad car video of the shooting, which set off weeks of protests and led to the forced resignation of Chicago's police superintendent and a federal investigation of department practices.
Herbert also said that policy changes in the Chicago Police Department, including more education, would be beneficial.
Cook County attorneys were not available for comment after the arraignment.
A white Chicago police officer who shot a black teenager 16 times has pleaded not guilty to murder charges.
Jason Van Dyke appeared in Cook County Criminal court Tuesday in Chicago.
Prosecutors announced last month they were charging Van Dyke with six counts of murder for the 2014 shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
Hours later, the city released squad car video of the shooting in which McDonald is seen veering away from Van Dyke before the veteran officer opens fire. Police have said McDonald had a knife.
The footage set off weeks of protests and led to the forced resignation of Chicago's police superintendent and a federal investigation of department practices.
Van Dyke, who is no longer being paid, has been free since posting bond.
Van Dyke's lawyer has said the officer "absolutely" can defend himself in court.
A white Chicago police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of a black teenager is expected to enter a plea at an arraignment.
Jason Van Dyke's hearing is scheduled for Tuesday morning in Chicago. The veteran officer faces six counts of first-degree murder and one of official misconduct in the 2014 shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
Public outcry has been furious since a dashcam video was released last month showing Van Dyke shooting McDonald 16 times. The teenager, armed with a knife, was veering away from officers when Van Dyke opened fire.
The footage sparked days of street demonstrations, the forced resignation of Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy and a broad federal civil rights investigation of the police department's practices and how allegations of officer misconduct are handled.