CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on the aftermath of the shooting of a black teenager by a white Chicago police officer (all times local):
Chicago officials have released surveillance footage from businesses near where the fatal shooting of a black 17-year-old by a white police officer took place.
The Chicago Tribune reports (http://trib.in/1QjabKy ) officials on Thursday evening released a number of recordings in response to public records requests by the newspaper.
The newspaper reports that among the recordings is footage from a Burger King just yards from where Officer Jason Van Dyke shot Laquan McDonald 16 times.
A manager of that Burger King has accused Chicago police who came into the restaurant shortly after the shooting of erasing surveillance video. Both the former police superintendent and the Cook County state's attorney have denied that the Burger King video was altered.
The Tribune reports all the footage from 12 camera angles inside and outside the restaurant have a gap of about 80 minutes.
The gap, from about 9:18 p.m. to 10:39 p.m., includes the time when McDonald was shot, according to the newspaper.
The footage, which doesn't have audio, shows an officer sitting in front of a computer and another officer walking around.
The attorney for the family of another Chicago man fatally shot by police says the city's reversal on deciding to publicly release video of the incident is a small step in terms of justice.
Family members of 25-year-old Ronald Johnson have pressed Chicago officials for squad car video of the October 2014 shooting and filed lawsuits.
Authorities said Johnson pointed a gun at police before an officer fatally shot him. However, Johnson's family and attorney Michael Oppenheimer say he wasn't armed and claim a gun was planted.
Last week, the city released graphic video showing a white police officer fatally shooting 17-year-old black teenager Laquan McDonald.
Oppenheimer says both cases depict the "brutal execution" of young African-American men.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Thursday the city would drop its opposition to releasing the Johnson video.
Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez has said her office is investigating possible criminal charges in the case.
Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner says a Department of Justice investigation of the Chicago police department would be "a good thing."
Rauner said Thursday he cried when he watched squad car video of a white Chicago officer shooting a black 17-year-old in 2014. Officer Jason Van Dyke has been charged with first-degree murder for shooting Laquan McDonald 16 times.
Rauner says he thinks Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel took "a very positive step" Thursday when he said the city would welcome a federal civil rights investigation.
He says once that and other investigations play out, "we can discuss further from those results."
Asked if he believes Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez should resign, the Republican governor wouldn't weigh in. He indicated her future should be a local decision.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel says the city will release video next week of another man who was fatally shot by police.
The family of 25-year-old Ronald Johnson has been pressing Chicago officials to release squad car video of the Oct. 12, 2014, shooting.
Chicago police have said Johnson was armed and pointed a gun at police before an officer shot and killed him.
His mother, Dorothy Holmes, said that wasn't the case and her son was running away from police.
Holmes and her attorney have seen the video and have pushed for its release. The family has filed lawsuits against the city.
U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois is joining those calling for a federal investigation into policing practices at the Chicago Police Department.
Durbin said Thursday in a news release that he spoke with Attorney General Loretta Lynch and requested an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division.
Durbin says the fatal shooting of a black teen 16 times by a white officer, video of which was released last week, is one of a series of "troubling events." He says there are serious questions about whether the department has appropriate policies to prevent civil rights violations.
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan also have asked for an investigation. Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Wednesday that such an investigation was "misguided," but changed course Thursday, saying one was welcome.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has clarified his earlier remarks, saying the city would welcome U.S. Justice Department involvement in helping restore trust in the Chicago police.
Emanuel sent out a statement Thursday, a day after saying that a federal civil rights investigation into the police department's tactics would be "misguided" because the U.S. Attorney's office in Chicago already is investigating.
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan are among those calling for an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to determine whether the police department's practices violate federal and constitutional law.
Emanuel says he trusts federal officials "to make the right decision" and is "open to anything" that would restore trust in the city's public safety efforts.