Cowboys' Romo 'done for season': report

Reuters News
|
Posted: Nov 27, 2015 10:17 AM

(Reuters) - Dallas Cowboys veteran quarterback Tony Romo will miss the rest of the National Football League season after reinjuring his collarbone for the second time in 10 weeks, according to an ESPN report on Friday.

Romo, in only his second game back after injuring his left collarbone, suffered the latest setback when he landed hard on his left shoulder after being sacked at the end of the third quarter of Thursday's loss to the Carolina Panthers.

The team said that X-rays were inconclusive and the 35-year-old quarterback will undergo further tests on Friday. But ESPN quoted a source close to Romo saying he is "done for the season."

Losing Romo, who already missed seven games earlier this season due to a broken left clavicle, for any period of time would further damage the Cowboys' fading playoff hopes.

The Cowboys lost all seven games that Romo missed earlier this season due to a broken left clavicle. He returned last week in a 24-14 win over the Miami Dolphins and Dallas were hoping Romo would provide a jolt to start a playoff run.

Romo laid on the field for several minutes following the hit before walking off as he favored his left arm. After the game Romo said the injury felt "similar" to what he felt when he broke his collarbone earlier this season.

Prior to the injury, Romo was struggling through Thursday's game, completing only 11 of 21 passes for 106 yards while two of his three interceptions were returned for touchdowns in the first half.

The Cowboys, who Forbes ranked as the world's most valuable sports franchise in September with a value of $4 billion, are last in the four-team NFC East division with a 3-8 record and five regular season games remaining. Their next game is Dec. 7 at Washington.

(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto; editing by Justin Palmer)