MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The fatal shooting of a black man by a Minneapolis police officer has prompted more than a week of protests and led to calls for answers as state and federal investigators continue to piece together what happened.
Jamar Clark, 24, was shot in the head Nov. 15 during what authorities said was a struggle with two police officers. Here's a look at where the investigation stands:
Authorities have said their initial investigation shows Clark was a suspect in an assault and was disrupting paramedics who were trying to help the victim. Police say they struggled with Clark, and he was shot.
People who claim they saw the shooting say Clark was handcuffed and wasn't struggling. The state agency that's investigating the shooting, the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, said it's looking into whether Clark was restrained. They say handcuffs were at the scene, but it isn't clear whether they were on Clark or had just fallen at the scene.
Lt. Bob Kroll, the head of the Minneapolis police union, has said that Clark had his hands on an officer's gun. Authorities have said no other weapons were found at the scene.
A federal civil rights investigation is also underway.
VIDEO OF THE SHOOTING
Gov. Mark Dayton said Monday that he viewed video captured by an ambulance at the scene and it's inconclusive.
Dayton said the footage he saw contains no audio but shows "a very brief fragment where Mr. Clark and one of the officers encountered each other, and then they disappear from sight."
The ambulance video isn't the only video out there. The BCA has said it also has video from a mobile police camera, public housing cameras and citizens' cellphones, but that none of it shows the event in its entirety. The agency said releasing the footage now would taint its investigation.
Community members have said they won't leave the north side police precinct near the shooting site until authorities meet their demands, which include the release of video.
Protests — including a candlelight vigil for Clark last Friday that attracted hundreds — have been largely peaceful. But on Monday night, five people were injured in a shooting about a block from the precinct. It wasn't immediately clear what prompted the shooting. Police said Tuesday they are searching for three white male suspects. One protester described seeing three masked individuals who weren't part of the protest fire the shots.
Clark's family issued a statement after the shooting thanking protesters for their support but urging an end to the demonstration at the precinct. Black Lives Matter had previously planned to announce "next steps" on Tuesday morning following a weekend meeting with community members about strategy.
The BCA said it's giving the Clark investigation top priority, even as it warned that such inquiries can take as long as two to four months.
Protesters have several events planned through Sunday outside the 4th Precinct. And Clark's funeral — open to the public — is scheduled for Wednesday at a north Minneapolis church.