CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — Guinea's President Alpha Conde is on track to win another term in office after taking a strong lead in partial results from Sunday's election, according to the election commission.
Commission spokesman Yero Conde said that final provisional results will be announced during an official ceremony Saturday.
The Independent National Electoral commission has released results from more than 75 percent of votes counted by Friday, adding more districts by the evening that show Conde ahead by 2 million votes, making it likely he will remain in office.
Main opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo had collected about 880,000 votes, the commission said. Earlier in the day he had about 30 percent of the vote. His numbers could rise, but it's not likely he can gain on Conde's votes.
The two faced off in a second round during 2010 presidential elections marked by ethnic violence.
Diallo, and the opposition leader who came in third in 2010 polls, Sidya Toure, withdrew from the electoral process earlier this week, saying the vote was fraudulent. The government denies fraud.
Final results are expected later Friday and will include the count from an opposition stronghold, meaning there is still a chance the election could go to a second round.
The vote would go to a second round if no candidate gets more than 50 percent of the vote. That round is supposed to be held 14 days after the constitutional court finalizes the results of the first round.
It is unclear if Diallo would boycott if it goes to a second round.
Millions of Guineans went to vote on Oct. 11 in only the second democratic presidential vote since the country gained independence from France in 1958. Violence marked the run-up to the polls, with at least three killed, and many worry the opposition will take to the streets if Conde wins outright in the first round.
Human Rights Watch is calling on all parties to act with restraint.