Taliban say pulling back from center of Kunduz but can return

Reuters News
|
Posted: Oct 13, 2015 7:49 AM

KABUL (Reuters) - The Afghan Taliban said they were withdrawing from the center of the northern city of Kunduz on Tuesday in order to protect civilians.

The Taliban have mounted a wave of attacks in the capital Kabul and beyond, culminating in the seizure of Kunduz in a carefully orchestrated offensive.

"We assure our people and the world that we are able to seize the city," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement.

Kunduz police chief Mohammad Qasim Jangalbagh said the city center had been cleared and people who had fled were starting to return.

Recommended
Believe Him
Katie Pavlich

(Reporting by Hamid Shalizi; Editing by Nick Macfie)