By Carey Gillam
(Reuters) - Police in Banning, California on Sunday were trying to determine why a man went on a violent rampage that left one and possibly two people dead and at least two others injured.
Banning police officials said they had in custody a man who fitted the description of the suspect in a series of shootings and assaults that began Saturday morning. Police have not identified him.
According to police, the deadly spree began around 11:30 a.m. local time in a residential area when police were notified that someone who appeared to be a Hispanic man wearing a blue shirt and driving a white sports utility vehicle was shooting into other vehicles.
One male driver died after being shot and a passenger in the same car was wounded. Another driver also shot at suffered minor injuries from shattered glass that hit her face and arms, according to Banning Police Chief Alex Diaz.
A suspect matching a similar description then attacked a man at a convenience storm shortly before noon.
At 12:13 p.m. another driver was found dead in a vehicle, but police said they did not know yet if that incident was tied to the shootings, Diaz said.
Then at 12:22 p.m., in the nearby community of Beaumont, police were alerted that a Hispanic man was attempting to enter a vehicle occupied by a woman and children. There were reports a man matching his description had been knocking on doors of area homes asking about his children, police said.
When police arrived, they found a man matching the description driving a white SUV and took him into custody, police said.
Banning is a community of about 30,000 people about 80 miles east of Los Angeles.
(Reporting by Carey Gillam in Kansas City, Mo.; Editing by Eric Walsh)