The Latest: Judge sets trial date for Slender Man defendants

AP News
|
Posted: Aug 21, 2015 2:41 PM

WAUKESHA, Wis. (AP) — The latest in the case of two 13-year-old girls accused in the repeated stabbing of a classmate in Wisconsin (all times local):

12:00 p.m.

The judge in the case of two girls accused of stabbing a classmate as a sacrifice to a fictitious horror character called Slender Man has said the girls will be tried together and set a trial date of Oct. 15.

Judge Michael Bohren decided previously that the case should be tried in adult court, and the 13-year-old girls face decades in prison if convicted.

Investigators say they plotted to lure Payton Leutner into the woods after a sleepover in suburban Milwaukee. They say the girls intended to kill their friend to earn a place in the mansion of Slender Man, a character described as unnaturally tall and thin with no visible facial features.

Slender Man stories have proliferated online in recent years.

The Associated Press is not identifying the girls because their case could land on appeal in juvenile court, where proceedings are closed to the public.

11:45 a.m.

Two 13-year-old girls have pleaded not guilty to attempted homicide charges after being accused of repeatedly stabbing a classmate as a sacrifice to an online horror character.

The suburban Milwaukee girls are being tried as adults and face decades in prison if convicted in the 2014 attack. A judge entered their pleas Friday.

Investigators say the two plotted to lure Payton Leutner into some woods in Waukesha after a sleepover. They say the girls intended to kill Payton to win the favor of Slender Man, who is described as unnaturally tall and thin with no visible facial features.

Slender Man stories have proliferated online in recent years.

The Associated Press is not identifying the girls because their case could land on appeal in juvenile court, where proceedings are closed.

___

9:25 a.m.

A lawyer for one of the girls accused in the Slender Man stabbing case says his client will plead not guilty.

Defense lawyer Tony Cotton says the 13-year-old suburban Milwaukee girl will enter not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect pleas at a brief arraignment hearing Friday.

Cotton said via email that he couldn't speak for the other defendant, who also is 13.

That girl's lawyers weren't available for comment Friday morning.

The teenagers are being tried as adults and face decades in prison in connection with the 2014 attack.

Investigators say they plotted to kill Payton Leutner after a sleepover, believing it would earn them a home in Slender Man's mansion. Payton was stabbed 19 times but survived.

___

9 a.m.

Two 13-year-old Wisconsin girls accused of luring their classmate into the woods to stab her to death as a sacrifice to a fictitious horror character are scheduled to enter pleas in the case.

The suburban Milwaukee teens are each charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide. They are being tried as adults and face decades in prison if convicted in the 2014 attack.

They are expected to appear in court for an arraignment hearing Friday.

Investigators say the girls plotted to lure Payton Leutner into the woods after a sleepover. They say the girls intended to kill Payton to win the favor of the character Slender Man. Leutner was stabbed 19 times but survived.

The Associated Press hasn't identified the girls because an appeals court could move their cases to juvenile court, where proceedings are closed.