Chargers reject San Diego election on new stadium

AP News
|
Posted: Jun 16, 2015 7:27 PM

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The San Diego Chargers have shot down Mayor Kevin Faulconer's trial balloon to hold a citywide election this year on financing for a new stadium.

Chargers' special counsel, Mark Fabiani, said Tuesday that the Dec. 15 election the mayor suggested won't survive legal scrutiny under state election law and state law for environmental impact reviews. Fabiani says to expect time-consuming court challenges that would end in defeat.

Negotiators for the city and the Chargers met a third time as the team seriously considers a move to Los Angeles. The Chargers and Oakland Raiders are planning to jointly build a $1.7-billion stadium in nearby Carson.

An advisory group to Faulconer last month recommended a $1.3 billion venue in San Diego.