Kenya official: Al-Shabab commander killed in attack of army

AP News
|
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 11:53 AM

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — Kenya's military Monday said they killed a Kenyan al-Shabab commander responsible for two attacks a year ago that killed at least 60 people, killing the extremist as he led an attack on a military camp in the same area.

Authorities are also trying to establish whether one of the bodies of two white men, also among the suspected extremists killed in the Sunday attack on an army camp in Lamu County over the weekend, is that of Briton Thomas Evans. Photos of Evans, also known as Abdul Akim, seem to match with the body but only DNA and biometric tests can determine the identity of the body conclusively, military spokesman Col. David Obonyo said. Evans, 25, contacted his family to say he had travelled to Somalia to join al-Shabab in 2012 after leaving their home in Buckinghamshire in Britain.

In a statement, his mother Sally Evans said she is waiting for official confirmation regarding the death.

Giving evidence to the U.K.'s Home Affairs Select Committee earlier this year, Sally said her son turned to Islam in 2009.

Obonyo said one of the attackers is Kenyan Luqman Osman Issa who has been the main al-Shabab commander in the area. Issa was believed responsible for the killing of two soldiers in an ambush on May 24, 2014 in the Baragoni area in Lamu County and the attacks on Mpeketoni and Poromoko areas on June 15 -17, 2014 in which at least 60 people were killed.

In a firefight, the Kenyan army on Sunday killed 11 militants who attacked the camp — including two apparent foreigners — from the Somali extremist group and suffered two fatal casualties.

___

This version corrects the name of Kenyan attacker to Luqman from Luqeman.