Syria says Jordan shuts main border crossing: news agency

Reuters News
|
Posted: Apr 01, 2015 7:56 AM

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syria's state news agency said Jordanian authorities had closed the main border crossing between the two countries on Wednesday, after a monitoring group reported clashes between insurgents and Syrian government forces in the area.

The state news agency, citing a source in the foreign ministry, said Syria held Jordan responsible for the social and economic impact of the closure of Nasib crossing, which had blocked traffic. Jordanian officials were not immediately available for comment.

The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights had reported earlier on Wednesday that there were heavy clashes between insurgents and Syrian forces near Nasib after the insurgents encircled the crossing area.

The area came under heavy Syrian airforce bombardment on Tuesday, the Observatory said.

Anti-government insurgents have made progress in Syria's southern Deraa province in recent weeks. On March 25 they seized the historic town of Bosra al-Sham from Syrian forces.

(Reporting by Sylvia Westall; Editing by Susan Fenton)