Suicide bomber attacks army headquarters in eastern Yemen, official says

Reuters News
|
Posted: Dec 09, 2014 2:00 AM

ADEN (Reuters) - A suicide bomber drove a booby-trapped car to the headquarters of the First Military Command in eastern Yemen on Tuesday and detonated the device, causing a number of casualties, an official in the area said.

The official said gunshots were heard after the blast at the compound in Seyoun, the second largest city in Hadramout province.

No one has claimed responsibility for the blast but Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which operates in eastern Yemen, has previously carried out similar attacks targeting Yemeni military and civilian facilities.

(Reporting by Mohammed Mukhashaf; Writing by Sami Aboudi; Editing by Paul Tait)