White House confirms U.S. citizen released from North Korea

Reuters News
|
Posted: Oct 21, 2014 1:23 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House confirmed on Tuesday that American tourist Jeffrey Fowle had been released from North Korea, had departed the country and was on his way home to his family.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the United States welcomed the move but remained focused on getting two other U.S. citizens released as well.

"While this is a positive decision ... we remain focused on the continued detention of Kenneth Bae and Matthew Miller and again call on the DPRK to immediately release them," Earnest said, referring to North Korea.

Fowle was arrested for leaving a bible at a club for foreign sailors while in North Korea. Miller was arrested in April for a separate incident. Bae, a missionary who was arrested in November 2012, was convicted and sentenced to 15 years hard labor.

(Reporting by Roberta Rampton and Jeff Mason; Editing by Meredith Mazzilli)