By Daniel Kelley
(Reuters) - Lights spelling out the Trump name are due to be removed from the shuttered Trump Plaza casino in Atlantic City after real-estate mogul Donald Trump sued to end a licensing deal with the casino owners to use his name, his family said on Monday.
Trump, who has emblazoned his name across properties in various U.S. cities, sued in August to have his name taken off the Trump Plaza, which closed last month, and the nearby Trump Taj Mahal, which is on the verge of closing.
An auditor found both casinos in disrepair, and Trump argued that both had become insufficiently luxurious to bear his name under the terms of a licensing agreement.
Trump's daughter Ivanka said the company had agreed to let workers remove the large "Trump" signage from the Plaza, which closed on Sept. 16, and that the work would begin later on Monday.
"This represents a great victory for us," Ivanka Trump said. "This has been an ongoing struggle and we've been litigating it for some months."
There was no sign of cranes or workers at the casino on Monday afternoon. The Atlantic City mayor's office said the necessary work permits had not been issued.
The Trumps have also sought to have their name removed from Trump Entertainment Resorts, the holding company that operates the casinos and which declared bankruptcy last month. The company did not respond to requests for comment.
Trump founded the Plaza in 1984 and helped usher in a new era of entertainment in Atlantic City on New Jersey's southern shore. More recently, the casinos there have declined in the face of competition from gambling in neighboring states.
Trump's stake in Trump Entertainment Properties was wiped out when the firm filed for bankruptcy in 2009. He emerged from the reorganization with a 10 percent stake and a licensing agreement that allowed the properties to continue to use his name.
If the Taj Mahal closes in November, as looks likely, it will become the fifth Atlantic City casino to close this year. The city started the year with 12 casinos.
Donald Trump said in a statement that the casino's owners "were unable to operate these properties to the highest standards of luxury and success as required under the license agreement and consistent with my name and reputation."
(Additional reporting by Mark Makela in Atlantic City, New Jersey; Editing by Jonathan Allen and Jim Loney)