U.S. says missile strikes on Libya only "first phase"

Reuters News
|
Posted: Mar 21, 2011 3:56 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A series of more than 110 cruise missile strikes on Libyan targets is only the first phase of a multiphase operation, a senior U.S. military official said on Saturday.

Vice Admiral Bill Gortney, director of the U.S. military's Joint Staff, declined to discuss what the next phase of the operations would be. He said more than 20 sites had been targeted in coalition strikes so far.

(Reporting by Missy Ryan and Phil Stewart)