MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Latest on the investigation into the death of Prince, who was found dead at his suburban Minneapolis home on April 21 (all times local):
An attorney for a California doctor and his son who were called to help Prince before he died says his clients did not give the superstar musician any drugs.
William Mauzy is an attorney for addiction specialist Dr. Howard Kornfeld and his son, Andrew. He said Thursday his clients "did not deliver, dispense or administer any medication to Prince on the morning of his death or at any other time." He says they had nothing to do with Prince's death.
A medical examiner says the 57-year-old Prince died of a fentanyl overdose April 21 at his Paisley Park home.
Mauzy has said Howard Kornfeld was called by prince's associates the night before he died. His son, Andrew, who is not a doctor, went to Minneapolis. Andrew Kornfeld was carrying a medication that can be used to treat opioid addiction. Mauzy said he intended to give that medication to another doctor.
Fans say news that rock superstar Prince died of an opioid overdose does not diminish their admiration of his music or his talent.
A small cluster of fans on Thursday took pictures and viewed the drawings and other memorials on the fence outside Prince's Paisley Park Studios in suburban Minneapolis, where he died on April 21.
Sixty-year-old Kathy Gunter of Greenville, South Carolina, came to Paisley Park with her 41-year-old daughter, Jenny Kvaas of Elk River, Minnesota, to leave a purple boa and balloon on the fence. Wearing a purple hat, beads and T-shirt, Gunter says she's "really saddened" that he died like that, but adds "we'll never forget him."
Another fan, Lynn Anderson of Shakopee, Minnesota, says she came to Paisley Park on Thursday after hearing how he died. Anderson says "Prince was in pain," but that does not change her image of him "whatsoever."
Legal experts say the finding that Prince died of an accidental overdose of the synthetic opioid fentanyl could make the prospect of criminal charges more likely.
A Chicago-based attorney with no link to the case says the substance, while it has medical applications, is frequently associated with illegal trafficking.
Gal Pissetzky also explains that categorizing the death as accidental indicates only that it was not intentional. It does not preclude charges if the fentanyl was supplied illegally.
The illegal distribution of fentanyl resulting in death carries a mandatory minimum 20 years behind bars in federal court.
The same offense can mean third-degree murder charges in Minnesota and up to 25 years in prison.
A Minnesota medical examiner says Prince died of an accidental fentanyl overdose.
The report from the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office was issued Thursday, more than a month after the music superstar was found dead at age 57 at his Paisley Park mansion.
The single-page report said Prince "self-administered fentanyl," referring to a synthetic opioid many times more potent than heroin.
The report was signed by Quinn Strobl, the office's chief medical examiner.
A person with knowledge of the medical examiner's plan says the results of Prince's autopsy are expected to be released Friday.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to release the information. A spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office did not return messages seeking comment.
A law enforcement official who is close to the investigation told the AP on Thursday that tests show Prince died of an opioid overdose. The 57-year-old singer was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate.
Investigators have been reviewing whether an overdose was to blame and whether he was prescribed drugs in the weeks before his death.
— Associated Press writers Amy Forliti in Minneapolis and Michael Tarm in Chicago
A law-enforcement official tells The Associated Press that tests show Prince died of an opioid overdose.
The 57-year-old singer was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate.
The official, who is close to the investigation, spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
Investigators have been reviewing whether an overdose was to blame and whether Prince was prescribed drugs in the weeks before his death.
— Associated Press Writer Michael Tarm