Chinese director Feng tackles 1942 drought

AP News
|
Posted: Apr 22, 2011 12:20 AM

China's most successful commercial director says his new film will be a drama set against a 1942 drought that killed three million Chinese.

Feng Xiaogang announced in a live webcast on Chinese portal Sina.com on Thursday that he will adapt Liu Zhenyun's 1993 novel called "Remembering 1942." Liu's work examines the suffering in China's Henan province when the then-ruling Nationalist Party was preoccupied with a Japanese invasion.

Wang Zhonglei says his Chinese studio Huayi Brothers is investing 150 million Chinese yuan ($23 million) in the production. Director Feng says he is designing the set and eyeing a summer 2012 release.

Feng released another disaster drama last year. The earthquake epic "Aftershock" brought in 673 million yuan ($103 million).