LONDON (Reuters) -Beyonce has said she donated the money she earned at a private party in 2009 to earthquake relief efforts in Haiti after learning the promoter had links to the family of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
The 29-year-old is the latest singer to distance herself from the Gaddafi clan, following international condemnation of his attempts to quell a rebellion in Libya and reports about stars who have performed for his entourage in recent years.
Earlier this week Canadian singer Nelly Furtado said she would give away $1 million she received to perform in Italy for the Libyan leader's family.
"All monies paid to Beyonce for her performance at a private party at Nikki Beach St. Barts on New Year's Eve 2009, including the commissions paid to her booking agency, were donated to the earthquake relief efforts for Haiti, over a year ago," Beyonce said in a statement posted on her website.
"Once it became known that the third party promoter was linked to the Qaddafi (Gaddafi) family, the decision was made to put that payment to a good cause."
Pressure on Gaddafi is growing as violence sweeps Libya.
The International Criminal Court prosecutor said on Thursday that Gaddafi, his sons and members of their inner circle could be held responsible for crimes by their security forces.
The United Nations Security Council imposed sanctions on Gaddafi and his family on Saturday, and referred Libya's crackdown on demonstrators to the court.
The music press has highlighted several famous singers who have performed for Gaddafi's clan, including his son Muatassim, in the last six years, often commanding large fees.
(Reporting by Mike Collett-White, Editing By Christine Kearney)